International Event Entry Process
Updated 13 November 2022
The Covid-19 pandemic has eased around the world and also in New Zealand. We now move to a reduced focus on COVID19 and more on the risk of international travel, as a whole, per destination.
Cycling New Zealand will continue to assess events, and should the COVID pandemic arise again additional protocols will be put in place reflecting these changes. If a destination has other risks, such as terrorism or civil unrest these will be reviewed and risks highlighted through the International Event Entry Process prior to Cycling New Zealand considering endorsing international event entries. This applies to any athlete or support staff (regardless of cycling code or category) who is requesting selection, entry or accreditation into international events where Cycling New Zealand, as the National Federation, has entry jurisdiction.
As such, the assessment of risk will move beyond just Covid-19 and will include (but not limited to):
- CNZ’s duty of care and obligations to its riders and staff
- Plans in place from event organisers to identify and control risk
- Advice from MFAT, Sport NZ and other government departments
- Information for www.safetravel.govt.nz
- Covid-19 or other pandemics
- Terrorism, Social or political instability
- The global pandemic environment (including consideration of domestic and global vaccination programmes)
- The ability for NZL citizens to return to New Zealand
- Advice from an independently appointed risk assessment professional
- World Health Organisation recommendations and statistics
- Availability and scope of international travel insurance
For those wishing to travel to an event where CNZ has entry jurisdiction over, the International Event Entry Process (IEEP) will remain in place indefinitely with a shift towards assessing any risk (not just covid-19). It is also noted that this process has been reviewed since its introduction in 2020. We will continue to use the traffic light system to highlight the risk level at events:
- Where an event is assessed as GREEN – Based on the information available, there is low risk attending this event outside of what should be reasonable accepted for international travel. All those wishing to receive an entry/accreditation or selection are required to complete an informed consent form.
- Where an event is assessed as ORANGE – Based on the information available, there are some moderate to high risks of attending this event outside of what should be reasonable accepted for international travel. All those wishing to receive an entry/accreditation or selection are required to complete an informed consent form and will be required to adequately and appropriately be able to demonstrate their understanding of this additional risk and their plans in place to mitigate this.
- Where an event is assessed as RED – Based on the information available, there are some serious and extreme risk of attending this event outside of what should be reasonable accepted for international travel. At this time Cycling New Zealand will not accept, process or make any selections for this event. Cycling New Zealand reserve the right to review this decision if more information is available.
See below for the full process.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org