CYCLING NEW ZEALAND - COVID-19 POSITION
Cycling New Zealand is working closely with Sport New Zealand, High-Performance Sport New Zealand and Health Agencies, in monitoring the changing situation in regards to COVID-19, including the directive issued by the New Zealand Government regarding travel in and out of New Zealand.
Our priority is the safety and wellbeing of our athletes, staff and all cyclists. We will play our part in reducing the exposure and spread of the COVID-19 virus.
This is a very fluid situation and we advise riders, coaches, and all cyclists to keep abreast of the latest situation by checking information from HPSNZ and the MOH. We have included a special page on our website (https://www.cyclingnewzealand.nz/covid-19) with links to the HPSNZ, MOH and UCI websites which will inform on the latest developments.
At home, HPSNZ has led the return to training protocols for riders and staff returning from overseas while Cycling New Zealand has made changes operationally at our training base at the Avantidrome incorporating education on hygiene, installation of extra disinfectant dispensers, increased spraying of offices and key infield usage areas and education posters on proper hygiene techniques.
We have project groups monitoring and working on contingencies for our High-Performance programme including Olympic preparations, and other Cycling New Zealand campaigns.
Domestically, Cycling New Zealand acknowledges the possible impact on upcoming cycling events and activity. We realise this is a period of uncertainty and we are taking advice from the Ministry of Health (Refer to ‘Advice for public events and mass gatherings – updated 16 March 2020), the event organisers own risk planning and any advice from local councils. For the upcoming Schools events, we are also taking advice from School Sport NZ.
In the short term, we are specifically working with the events scheduled below in March/April that come under the Cycling New Zealand and Cycling New Zealand Schools umbrella and supporting other events on the calendar: (Club and other event organisers can read more here.)
- Cycling New Zealand Schools North Island MTB Championships - Cancelled https://schools.cyclingnewzealand.nz/news/cycling-new-zealand-domestic-events-update/
- Cycling New Zealand Schools South Island MTB Championships - Cancelled https://schools.cyclingnewzealand.nz/news/cycling-new-zealand-domestic-events-update/
- Vantage Age Group Road National Championships – postponed till 17 -19 July 2020 https://www.cyclingnewzealand.nz/news/vantage-age-group-road-championships-update/
- First Windows & Doors BMX National Championships – POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- National Track Series - we are currently reviewing these dates due to Round 2 dates now been the replaced with the Vantage Age Group Road Championships. https://www.cyclingnewzealand.nz/events-and-results/national-events/national-track/
- 2020 Oceania Road Championships POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE https://oceaniacycling.org/postponement-of-2020-oceania-road-championships-and-2020-oceania-bmx-championships/
- 2020 Oceania BMX Championships – POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE https://oceaniacycling.org/postponement-of-2020-oceania-road-championships-and-2020-oceania-bmx-championships/
- 2020 U19 Men’s Road Development Campaign to Europe, including the camp scheduled for post-national championships - CANCELLED
- Women’s Development Campaign to Europe - CANCELLED
MTBNZ Statement on COVID-19
BMXNZ Statement on COVID-19
CNZRT Statement on COVID-19
We recognise this situation is fluid, in a constant state of change and appreciate your support. Please check regularly for updates on the Cycling New Zealand websites and note that further updates are likely over the coming days.
Thank you for your support and stay safe.
Cycling New Zealand