International Licencing and Insurance

International UCI Licences are for New Zealand riders who race overseas.

To upgrade your licence to international, please click here

To obtain an International Licence, you must:

1. Be a New Zealand Resident, or reside within New Zealand for at least 6 months of the year;

2. In accordance with UCI regulations, provide Cycling New Zealand with evidence of appropriate insurance cover that meets UCI requirements. Details around these insurance requirements can be found here. Before purchasing international insurance we recommend checking out our 'other things to consider' section below. 

3. Return your Cycling New Zealand International Insurance Declaration form

4. Provide to Cycling New Zealand a suitable photo for your International Licence card. 

Photos are mandatory for all International Licence holders. A photo for your licence card will be requested during your membership registration, or this can be emailed to Photos for licences should be passport/driver’s licence style with NO hats, helmets, sunglasses, or goggles present. 


The UCI Cycling Regulations relating to International Licences (1.1.011) state that the licence should be taken out in the country where you have your main residence, so it is possible for you to be licenced by another federation.
If you're a citizen of another country and do not hold New Zealand citizenship then we need to make sure the UCI ID is linked to your nationality. If you've already received your licence and your nationality is incorrect please email

Insurance Requirements

In accordance with UCI guidelines, Cycling New Zealand will not issue a rider an International License until proof of appropriate insurance cover has been provided.

According to UCI Cycling Regulations (1.1.022), appropriate insurance should include:
  • Insurance for bodily injury (in and out-patient hospital expenses and medical care, transport costs, permanent disablement, death) and material damages (loss of earnings) in case of accident on the occasion of a cycling competition or during training.
  • Third-party liability insurance for material damage or bodily injury caused to others in the course of a competition or cycling event or during training.
Riders must provide a copy of their insurance certificate before their license will be issued and may be asked to provide confirmation in writing from their insurer that specifically states that the policy they hold provides medical cover and personal liability whilst cycle racing and training outside of New Zealand.
It is important to understand that international licences are only valid when accompanied with travel insurance that meets UCI requirements. Having applied for an international licence with Cycling New Zealand you have provided documentation indicating you have obtained appropriate international travel insurance. However, it is the holder’s sole responsibility to ensure that this insurance meets requirements and that appropriate international travel insurance remains current for the times that you are overseas and are intending to utilise the international licence. Holding a valid International Licence without any valid insurance policy does not provide you with any cover.


Other things to consider and discuss with your insurance provider: 

  • Are you considered a professional or amateur rider? (some policies may not cover you depending on your status)
  • The amount of insurance coverage required for your racing and training activities (i.e. the $ value of your coverage)
  • Whether you must be in New Zealand prior to the activation of your policy
  • Any exclusions that may result in you being unable to make a claim through your policy




From 15 March 2023, Chubb will no longer be issuing this policy to cyclists. 

Aon is currently engaged with a new insurer who is looking to provide an alternative policy for cyclists. We will provide an update on this as soon as we are able to. 

Kent Hinton – Aon New Zealand