International Licencing and Insurance
International UCI Licences are for New Zealand riders who race overseas.
To obtain an International Licence, you must:
1. Be a New Zealand Resident, or reside within New Zealand for at least 6 months of the year;
2. In accordance with UCI regulations, provide Cycling New Zealand with evidence of appropriate insurance cover that meets UCI requirements. Details around these insurance requirements can be found here. Before purchasing international insurance we recommend checking out our 'other things to consider' section below.
3. Return your Cycling New Zealand International Insurance Declaration form
4. Provide to Cycling New Zealand a suitable photo for your International Licence card.
Photos are mandatory for all International Licence holders. A photo for your licence card will be requested during your membership registration, or this can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Photos for licences should be passport/driver’s licence style with NO hats, helmets, sunglasses, or goggles present.
In accordance with UCI guidelines, Cycling New Zealand will not issue a rider an International License until proof of appropriate insurance cover has been provided.
- Insurance for bodily injury (in and out-patient hospital expenses and medical care, transport costs, permanent disablement, death) and material damages (loss of earnings) in case of accident on the occasion of a cycling competition or during training.
- Third-party liability insurance for material damage or bodily injury caused to others in the course of a competition or cycling event or during training.
Other things to consider and discuss with your insurance provider:
- Are you considered a professional or amateur rider? (some policies may not cover you depending on your status)
- The amount of insurance coverage required for your racing and training activities (i.e. the $ value of your coverage)
- Whether you must be in New Zealand prior to the activation of your policy
- Any exclusions that may result in you being unable to make a claim through your policy
AON / CHUBB TRAVEL AND RACE INSURANCE
Cycling New Zealand endorses a travel policy arranged by AON and underwritten by Chubb providing riders with a comprehensive travel insurance package that also meets the UCI requirements for International Licenses. Alongside day to day cover this policy also includes protection whilst training and racing for you and your bike (bike protection up to $6,500) along with the required third-party liability insurance. This cover is restricted to the period the rider is outside of New Zealand.
This Chubb travel and race insurance policy must be taken out for the entirety of your trip - cover must begin from your date of departure until you return to NZ. Questions around this can be directed to Jason at the email address below.
Click here to get a quote for travel and race insurance
Please note this policy does not cover 'professional riders'. If you fall into this category please contact Jason Bodmin below before purchasing this policy.